Friday, August 17, 2007

I left a part of my heart at Bethany.

There comes a point in one’s life that moving on and growing up is bound to happen. This usually involves moving to a new place, starting a “real” job, having bills, and meeting new people. But this also means leaving friends behind, leaving a place you love and have grown in, and starting all over. I am at this point. I am moving from a place that has been my home for four years and to a place that is almost foreign.

Bethany University will always and forever hold a huge and special place in my heart and in my journey of life. It is where I found myself, met amazing mentors and made lifelong friends. It is a community that inspires social, mental, physical, emotional and spiritual growth in every aspect. We were(It is) one big family who believed in each other, encouraged each other and inspired one another to take it the next level. This is where I was able to analyze my own life and transform into the person I am today.

Tears fill my eyes as I think back to the memories I made over my four years in this amazing community. The friends that crossed my path have made imprints on my life. People I barely even talked to have influenced my life in ways they will never know. I choke up now as I realize that I may never have this same type of opportunity, that I may never see some of these terrific people, and that my alma mater will carry on, take in new people, touch student’s lives, and make impacting differences without me experiencing this (Though, I am thankful and "praiseful" that this will happen!). I love Bethany University and everything it has to offer to the people who are a part of it. I pray daily that HUGE things will begin to happen and that the fire of God will rush through that campus and transform it and the lives of the people there like never before. God is amazing, everlasting, miraculous, and almighty – He’s going to be doing BIG things at BU – watch out!

Here are a few of my lifelong memories:

*Walking on the campus for my first time as a new student
*Moving into my first dorm room in Miracle
*Cheerleading
*”Senate” team for intramural basketball
*Renovating the Spot
*BUSG Senior year – what an amazing team of beautiful people!
*Kayoko Sakayanagi – just saying her name brings a smile to my face
*John Deere themed room with Jenny Roomie Williams
*GYRAD’s – thank you date’s!
*Homecoming – every year, but the one I like to most remember is Junior year when we won!
*My speech for Freshmen Class VP
*My speech for ASB President
*Kidnapping Glen Smith for an In-N-Out run Freshmen year with Darcy and Jenny
*In-N-Out runs just for fun!
*Getting tattoos
*Being “Mama Larissa” to Deborah, Bethany, Diana, Brenna, and then most of Circus girls
*Living on Circus in my own room – loved it!
*Omar Visquel date with Hailey and Jenny
*Everything the “Trio” did: Hailey, Jenny and I
*Going to my first NBA game! Go Warriors!
*Phoebe’s random room visits
*Elisabeth and I always borrowing clothes
*Lauren, E-tyler and I living together in the basement for the summer
*Fighting and arguing with Jared
*Café Brazil – Acai bowls
*50% discount and Chili’s and everyone wanting me to get that for them
*The “Hole” and then the “Cork”
*Thanksgiving outing Senior year with Corey, Mike, Phoebe and Lauren
*Going to Alcatraz
*Working with the Administration
*SF shopping days
*Getting a misdemeanor for sneaking into the Hilton
*Beach nights/days
*Waffle Sundays
*Cheetah Chases (CHAMPIONS!!)
*Senior Spring Banquet
*The “cork” in the last week of school with 25 people
*Going to the haunted barn and getting stopped by the cops with 16 people in Phil’s truck
*Going with Steph, Jared and Joey to the lake to go rowing
*Monday night chapels
*Student Development Team
*Being ASB President
*Watching croquet in the Popineau Park frosh year
*NSO’s/ Campus Days
*Clash n’ Bowl
*The Bong Show
*The trees that turn beautiful colors by the library
*Easter weekend with Jared and Ryan at Ryan’s house
*Watching the NBA playoffs in the Spot
*Spot Brothers
*My birthdays –especially senior year at Chili’s with 25 people
*Graduation party with all my favorite people
*Meeting some of my best lifelong friends!!

I love you BU community!! And I miss you all terribly!

2 comments:

Melanie M. McKinnon said...

Oh hooray! Debbie said you had a blog but I didn't know the address. And yes I would like to visit you. I would like a detailed post on what you are currently doing with your life, if you don't mind :)

Anonymous said...

oh larissa!!! i loved being your neighbor and going back and forth to talk, especially when you were getting ready to go to d.c. with jared and all of the other stuff you were involved in, even being on the same intramural team. you are so fabulous and i am excited to see what seattle has to offer for you...poor city, it won't know what hit it!!!
love ya
~daisy